Friday, May 24, 2013

Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.

5-24-13

Two posts in a row...wwwhhhaaattt???

I joined the swim team at my private pool club in Glastonbury when I was about 8.  I joined the swim team to have a sport to do during the summer.  When I was younger, I played soccer and did dance during the fall, winter, and spring.  This left the summer open to swim and take tennis lessons at the pool club, which was essentially my sisters and my residence during the summer months. I continued until I got to high school, and I regret not trying out for the high school team when I had the chance.

I didn't realize until recently how great of a workout swimming really is, and that I must have been in super-good shape when I was younger to complete the workouts we did every morning at the pool.  Luckily, swimming is a lot like riding your bike: you never really forget how, you just need to build up your endurance.

So, for my first swimming workout I did a relatively easy workout, which was a good intensity for me as I was exhausted (and starving!) afterwards.  Here's what I did:

Warm up: 25 yds, 50 yds, 75 yds, easy freestyle

2 x 25 kicking
2 x 25 pulling

Ladder: 25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25

Cool down: 75 and 50 easy breaststroke (I was tired!) and 15 free

For those of you unfamiliar with pool lengths, a standard lap pool is 25 yds or meters in length, and Olympic pool is 50 yds in length.  The pool at SC can be set up as a standard or Olympic length.  Thankfully, yesterday it was at 25 yds!  So, 25 yds = 1 lap, 50 yds = 2 laps, etc.

It took me roughly 40 mins to complete this workout.  I took A LOT of rest time between segments, however I was excited to complete each segment without resting between laps, and I even broke out the flip turns!

My goal next week is to swim twice, probably completing the same workout to build up some endurance and speed.

Here's to the water and amazing swimming-induced-exhaustion sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment